Phillips Funeral Home early 1900's
Phillips Funeral Home today
Daniel and Irene Stimson founded Phillips Funeral Home in 1912. At age 19, Irene, a pioneering woman in the funeral business, became the first woman funeral director in New York State. Her daughter, Shirley Sutherland, joined her in the business in 1945 and became a partner in 1958. Together, Irene and Shirley operated Phillips Funeral Home until Irene's death in 1983. Shirley continued operating Phillips Funeral Home until 1990, when she sold the business to brothers David and Jon Carpenter.
Since 1990, the interior of the funeral home has been completely renovated and a beautiful arrangement center has been added. Additional property was purchased that provides parking for more than 90 cars. Along the front of the property an attractively landscaped meditation park, complete with working fountain was built.
2012 marked the 100th anniversary of Phillips Funeral Home & Cremation Service. A celebration was held and included historical displays, tours of the funeral home, veterans demonstrations, dove releases and live music while refreshments were served.